Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 10:41, 2 August 2019 by Sporadiccrash (More informatioon about multi-boot possibilities on my computer)
I am a Dell Latitude E7440 User. Had installed Arch Linux once in 2008 on a Athlon XP 2800+ machine. Now using Lubuntu but preparing the laptop for multi-boot for Arch Linux and Lubuntu.
- SecureBoot: enabled
- Virtualization: enabled
- TPM: enabled
- Bluetooth: disabled
- /dev/sda1 GRUB EFI secureboot loader shimx64.efi
- /dev/sda2 swap
- /dev/sda3 unused 8 GB - for future RAM upgrade to 16 GB
- /dev/sda4 user data directory
- /dev/sda5 Lubuntu 19.04 - mounted /dev/sda1 as /boot/efi
- Unused area - to be partitioned as /dev/sda6 (Arch Linux) and /dev/sda7 (another distro)
Multi-Boot of Arch Linux and Lubuntu
- Lubuntu installed first, /boot/efi contains Ubuntu EFI stub.
- Arch Linux to be installed into /dev/sda6. Since /boot/efi is coming from /dev/sda1, /boot of Arch Linux will be /dev/sda6. Since /boot of Lubuntu is on /dev/sda5, both /boot directories cannot conflict.
- A custom GRUB menu to be created in /etc/grub.d/ so that Lubuntu can find Arch.
- I am trying to find a way how to create a maintenance-free top-level Grub configuration menu.