User talk:AdamT/Installation Notes
- Desktop Setup sections may be better fit under post-setup. Check installation guide and follow its structure.
- See Btrfs#Partitioning.
- If the current Grub installation method (GPT-BIOS) can work without the reserved space this would simplify the installation process and should be implemented.
- Testing needed. --AdamT (Talk) 09:16, 17 November 2013 (UTC)
- Further attempt at research did not elicit any meaningful information. Hardware testing is indeed needed at this point. -- AdamT (Talk) 01:23, 22 November 2013 (UTC)
Proposed changes / notes
# mkfs.btrfs -l 16384 /dev/sdx # btrfstune -x /dev/sdx
Updated or expanded Btrfs optimizations?
- Skinny extents:
- Need to be enabled at makefs or after: http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=3173a18f70554fe7880bb2d85c7da566e364eb3c
- Kernel mailing list info:
btrfstune -xto enable after makefs http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1305.1/01064.html
- Mount tuning revisit:
- Tuning as of 3.11
- compress=lzo autodefrag discard space_cache inode_cache
- compress-force=zlib autodefrag space_cache inode_cache
- nodatacow -- disables compression.
- nobarrier -- greatly increases the chance of full file system corruption during power failure situation.
Out of band deduplication:
- Wait until more fully supported. Or until the needed changes for out of band are into dedup proper.
- Verify Optimal Sector and Leaf sizes:
- More links in this section's "See also" section.
- No solid information on this topic. Maintain 16KB leaf/node size.
Flashcache, Bcache, or other write-through solution?
- RAM to SSD to HDD solution feasible? Warranted?
- Bench marking?
- Worst of all worlds or best?
- Following some initial research, SSD caching by way of bcache, flashcache, dm-cache or the like, does seem to be a decent solution in terms of performance. However, the current solutions would add additional complexities to the storage layers and Btrfs may eventually add similar features. See here.
- From this understanding, I am continuing to focus my efforts into learning Btrfs as fully as feasible, and not worrying about these other options for now. -- AdamT (Talk) 23:43, 21 November 2013 (UTC)
- See KMS.
Wait on Wayland until Gnome 3.14 (~March 2014).
Even with gnome and gnome-extra some stuff that seems essentially to a complete Gnome install gets missed:
- telepathy stuff
- Install: telepathy-gabble telepathy-salut telepathy-idle telepathy-rakia telepathy-haze
- Install: aspell-en aspell-fr aspell-uk.