Feel free to leave here your comments on my edits or anything else you want to talk about: I'll reply as soon as I can!
Bauerbill & friends dicontinued
I've e-mailed Xyne, but he hasn't responded yet. How do you propose to deal with []. Searching the wiki for those apps shows many pages that need to be edited. Do we fix the urls and point to the e.g. bauerbill's wiki page or ...? Karol 10:16, 25 March 2011 (EDT)
- Uhm this looks like a difficult task... You are right, many pages are involved, even the Beginners' Guide makes reference to Powerpill. First thing, I would add a Warning, not just a Note in those pages, something like this:
- (Links with query strings in templates don't work because of '=' characters: just change them with '='). Note that Powerpill and all the other apps seem not to work with pacman >=3.5, not just >3.5.
- About the links, I think your idea of pointing to Xyne's old projects page is great, but I would do that also for links that at the moment point to AUR (so I don't think we should remove them altogether) or possibly to an official repository (powerpill was in community). http://xyne.archlinux.ca/old_projects/ is ok, but also its project-specific subpages are good candidates for link replacement.
- Last thing, I think the best systematical method to search for the pages with references to those packages is using the wiki advanced search using 'xyne' and the packages' names as keywords. -- Kynikos 11:28, 25 March 2011 (EDT)
- Ah, of course for references like the one in the Beginners' Guide, I would apply the policy of complete removal. -- Kynikos 11:31, 25 March 2011 (EDT)
- OK, I will start editing the pages in a couple hours. Substituting http://xyne.archlinux.ca/old_projects/foo for AUR links is a great idea.
- How do you propose to deal with e.g. bauerbill used in code examples in Bauerbill.fish or ? Karol 12:37, 25 March 2011 (EDT)
- About Bauerbill.fish I would just add the warning as shown above; about  I would remove the line that refers to bauerbill, since it already seems to have a working alternative.
- Maybe we could list here all the pages that we edit (with the date of edit), so that when Xyne will have released his replacement for powerpill/bauerbill we'll be able to restore easily the deleted content.
- It seems we already agree on the editing policy, I can start helping you this evening, very likely after dinner (CET). -- Kynikos 13:17, 25 March 2011 (EDT)
- I've already had some yummy pancakes and I'm starting the editing campaign. I will list the pages I edit and later we can move the list to its own page. Karol 13:42, 25 March 2011 (EDT)