Feel free to leave here your comments on my edits or anything else you want to talk about: I'll reply as soon as I can!
Where should translations go?
Hi! I'm wondering where the Archwiki team wants new translations to go? On the page ArchWiki Translation Team I get the feeling that translations should be placed under archlinux.org. At the same time there are national wikis as well, at different stages of development. In my case this is archlinux.se, which only contains a few articles, and is generally lacking links to the main Wiki from what I can see. What is the policy on where to put translations?
- Hi and welcome! I'm glad to know that the Swedish website has come back to life :) Since MediaWiki is _not_ designed to handle internationalization (it requires resorting to workarounds like the suffix one we're using here) the ideal goal would be to move each language to its own separate wiki, for ease of maintenance. So, in your case, all Swedish articles should now be moved to wiki.archlinux.se and replaced with interwiki links on at least the English page, e.g.
[[sv:Huvudsida]]. -- Kynikos (talk) 15:23, 4 May 2012 (UTC)
- Ah, I forgot to mention that if you want to add an interlanguage link to a protected English page, you can just ask on its talk page, and it will be added by one of us admins as soon as possible! -- Kynikos (talk) 15:28, 4 May 2012 (UTC)
On a secondary note - poorly developed regional wikis might work as a black hole for new users (turned off from arch due to lack of documentation) if they do not link to the main wiki for untranslated topics. Ideally they should cover the entire topic tree, and link to the anglish main wiki for untranslated articles. Granted, most potential new users that find a poor regional wiki probably continue searching and eventually find wiki.archlinux.org, but not necessarily all of them.
- That's why we must exploit as much as we can the native tool that MediaWiki offers for keeping the various local wikis linked with each other: interlanguage links (example above).
- Until the Swedish wiki lacks important articles, at least its Main Page if not also other important articles should instruct Swedish users to search for missing content on the English wiki.
- -- Kynikos (talk) 15:23, 4 May 2012 (UTC)
Text shift in discussion answers
I noticed that the discussion pages of the wiki, in order to indicate that the piece of text written actually answers a comment from a guy above, we are using colon to shift our answer. The problem appears on long discussions page (like the beginner guide, I'm coming from), when we answer to answers answering answers...
I think it would be better to use a @name statement: this indicates we are answering directly to the guy whose name is written. And this avoid left space waste (especially on mobile phones, I couldn't even read the whole thread on mine yesterday, because of the so long shift). -- Wget (talk) 13:10, 5 August 2013 (UTC)
- Well, about indentation we're just following Wikipedia's standards: Wikipedia:Help:Using_talk_pages#Indentation, Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Indentation.
- About long discussions, outdenting can be used, Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Indentation#Outdenting.
- I admit that the @ method wouldn't be such a silly idea, it would work with short discussions, but it wouldn't allow branching out long discussions. On wide screens the "left space waste" is negligible, and on my phones (Android) the browser correctly manages to fit long discussions to the screen width, I don't understand why your phone can't do that ^^
- -- Kynikos (talk) 13:41, 6 August 2013 (UTC)
Sentence case section headings
VirtualBox article rewrite
I'm currently rewriting the VirtualBox article and I've some question about the latter.
In the Related section of that article, there is currently two different articles which are looking exactly the same regarding the subject they are dealing with:
- Installing Arch Linux from VirtualBox: this one is really outdated and has been marked as is for ages. I think it could be removed. If you agree, could you request its deletion or do it by yourself (I think I haven't the required right to achieve that).
- VirtualBox Arch Linux Guest On Physical Drive: this one is rather recent only initscripts' and grub legacy mode should be replaced by systemd and grub2.
Also I've found a page dedicated to systemd services which are completely unrelated. I've found a service related to VirtualBox, I think the later should be removed from that section and integrated to the main VirtualBox article (this is what I'll do).
Also I wonder why even this systemd/Services section has ever been created. It has unrelated stuffs and each of them should be located to its related article. The problem is similar with sections of the systemd main article.