Edits on Securely wipe disk
I noticed that you have made a lot of edits to the Securely wipe disk article. Make sure to take some time to read through Help:Style. I still need to read through the rest of the article. ~ Filam (talk) 03:31, 21 September 2012 (UTC)
- Why did you remove the "Example run times" section, which contained a table of examples? Also please note that this article is not specifically about encryption, even though that may be why you're interested in it. There was no reference to encryption before you started editing and now there are 20 uses of *encrypt*. And please do not duplicate content from other articles! ~ Filam (talk) 03:52, 21 September 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks a lot for your feedback. I moved "Example run times" to an own article (Benchmarking disk wipes) that is linked to in the Securely_wipe_disk#Performance section and also under Benchmarking with dd. I tought it just consumed too much space (maybe not the table itself but at least the instructions to calculate around output of different dd-spinnoffs) and there is other content alike (e.g. on the Frandom page) that maybe can also get moved there.
- And, well, the other topic, why to write so much about encryption in this article?
- You are true. I started editing the disk-wiping article for moving all related content from Dm-crypt_with_LUKS#Secure_Erasure_of_the_Hard_Disk_Drive as sbd. else proposed it there.
- Also I thought all the duplicate content just saying "wipe with /dev/zero and run luksFormat afterwards" might be worse than having one article covering up all use-cases and making clear what has to be done for what kind of security. I did consider doing this as e.g. a user-page first but in fact I hoped to be able to do it all in much less time, but sadly my ISP cut me off for a few days until yesterday evening. So now I will move on and will try to improve things. If you have any idea on how to do it better please let me know.
- By the way: Why didn't you want to discuss this on the Discussion page of Securely wipe disk?
- And last but not least, sorry for my bad english, im not a native speaker. Nevertheless I will try to come closer to Help:Style of course. :) --Nonix (talk) 09:55, 21 September 2012 (UTC)