User talk:Ryanpcmcquen/Quick install command set for Arch Linux (goes to startx)
Why is this a thing?
First, if you'll look at the notice at the bottom of the page when editing, you'll notice that all documents posted here are considered to be released under the GNU Free Documentation License; so having that copyright notice is silly.
Second, seriously, why is this needed at all? We already have the Beginners' Guide and the official Guide; they make everything very clear (the Beginners' Guide actually explains more than I would ever need to install); I cannot see a reason for this page's existence. In my humble opinion, this post belongs on a blog. Halosghost (talk) 14:16, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
It should also be mentioned that there is little to no explanation given for any of the steps in the process; so you're just having users run commands without understanding them (counter to the Arch Way). Plus, the recommendation of use of things that should not be recommended (at least not explicitly instructing them to do so) to new users (e.g., AUR Helpers). Halosghost (talk) 15:28, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
- That's fine, delete it if you must. Ryanpcmcquen (talk) 15:47, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
For myself, and my fellow Linux users (I know other people I have sent this to found it very useful), it's a quick & dirty guide to getting from booting the ISO to starting X. It cuts out all the verbiage and presents just the necessary commands. Ryanpcmcquen (talk) 15:54, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
- Sure, but it doesn't offer any explanation for what each step does, so new users don't learn anything (see The Arch Way), and these steps are specific to one setup (not all setups will even need or want X); why is this guide with no explanation or flexibility preferable to the official one which has both? Halosghost (talk) 15:58, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
- I don't in any way intend this as a replacement for the official guide. Just a quick way to get going. You'd have to know quite a bit to get through it any way. And someone who is not even bothering to install X probably needs no guide. ;-) Ryanpcmcquen (talk) 16:03, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
- I still feel that it should be on a blog; but I am not an admin; so they'll have the final say. Halosghost (talk) 16:14, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
- I removed that, with one of the ISO's it was necessary. But I agree, it's a bad idea. Ryanpcmcquen (talk) 16:20, 15 July 2013 (UTC)
This page can only live as a subpage of your user page, I've already moved it as you can see. Of course this is true as long as you are ok in keeping it under ArchWiki:Copyrights (please do not add any copyright notice by yourself), otherwise you will have to host it somewhere else. -- Kynikos (talk) 12:50, 16 July 2013 (UTC)
- That works! Thank you.