|Summary help replacing me|
|Explains VA-API support in various hardware and software components|
Video Acceleration API is a specification and open source library to provide hardware accelerated video decode/encode.
- NVIDIA GeForce 8 series and newer cards are supported by the package, available in the official repositories. It uses the proprietary driver.
- Intel GMA 4500 series and newer GPUs are supported by the open source package, available in the official repositories.
- AMD Radeon HD 4000 series and newer GPUs are supported by package, available in the official repositories. It uses the proprietary AUR driver for Radeon HD 5000 series and newer, and AUR for Radeon HD 4000 series. Recent versions together with AMD open source driver can decode some videos too, but number of formats supported is poor.
|MPEG2 decoding||Nvidia GeForce 8 and newer, AMD Radeon 9500 and newer||Intel GMA 4500 and newer||AMD Radeon HD 4000 and newer|
|MPEG4 decoding||Nvidia GeForce 200 and newer||-||-|
|H264 decoding||Nvidia GeForce 8 and newer||Intel GMA 45001, Ironlake Graphics and newer||AMD Radeon HD 4000 and newer|
|VC1 decoding||Nvidia GeForce 8 and newer||Intel Sandy Bridge Graphics and newer||AMD Radeon HD 4000 and newer|
|H264 encoding||-||Intel Sandy Bridge Graphics and newer||-|
1Supported by the libva-driver-intel-g45-h264 package. See H.264 decoding on GMA 4500 for instructions and caveats.
In order to check what profiles (features) are supported by your GPU, run the following command, which provided by thepackage:
VAEntrypointVLD means that your card is capable to decode this format, VAEntrypointEncSlice means that you can encode to this format.
Install official repositories.package, available in the
$ mplayer -vo vaapi -va vaapi -fs foobar.mpeg
- -vo - Select vaapi video output driver
- -va - Select vaapi video decoder driver
- -fs - Fullscreen playback (optional)
MPlayer based players:
- : open preferences and set the video output to "vaapi".
- : open preferences and set the video driver to "vaapi", and deselect "Enable screenshots".
Install Arch User Repository.AUR package, available in the
$ gst-launch-0.10 playbin2 uri=file:///path/to/foobar.mpeg
VA-API is used automatically, if supported format found.