Video Acceleration API is a specification and open source library to provide hardware accelerated video encoding and decoding.
Open source drivers:
- AMD Radeon 9500 and newer GPUs are supported by the package together with the package.
- Intel GMA 4500 series and newer GPUs are supported by the package together with the package.
- NVIDIA GeForce 8 series and newer GPUs are supported by the package together with the package. It uses the AUR package, which contains the required firmware to operate that is presently extracted from the NVIDIA binary driver.
- AMD Radeon HD 4000 series and newer GPUs are supported by the AUR package. It uses the AUR driver for Radeon HD 5000 series and newer, and AUR for Radeon HD 4000 series.
- NVIDIA GeForce 8 series and newer GPUs are supported by the package together with the driver.
|MPEG2 decoding||Radeon 9500 and newer||GMA 4500 and newer||GeForce 8 and newer||Radeon HD 4000 and newer||GeForce 8 and newer|
|MPEG4 decoding||Radeon HD 6000 and newer||
||GeForce 200 and newer||Radeon HD 6000 and newer||GeForce 200 and newer|
|H264 decoding||Radeon HD 4000 and newer||GMA 45001, Ironlake Graphics and newer||GeForce 8 and newer||Radeon HD 4000 and newer||GeForce 8 and newer|
|VC1 decoding||Radeon HD 4000 and newer||Sandy Bridge Graphics and newer||GeForce 8200, 8300, 8400, 9300, 200 and newer||Radeon HD 4000 and newer||GeForce 8 and newer|
||Ivy Bridge Graphics and newer||
||Sandy Bridge Graphics and newer||
1Supported by the H.264 decoding on GMA 4500 for instructions and caveats.AUR package. See
In order to check what profiles (features) are supported by your GPU, run the following command, which is provided by thepackage:
VAEntrypointVLD means that your card is capable to decode this format, VAEntrypointEncSlice means that you can encode to this format.
For VAAPI acceleration, you will need to set the environment variable
LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME for to find the desired driver, e.g.:
Verify the settings for VAAPI by running
libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0 libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0 libva info: User requested driver 'vdpau' libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/vdpau_drv_video.so libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_35 libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0 vainfo: VA-API version: 0.38 (libva 1.6.0) vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for VA-API - 0.7.4 vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileMPEG4Simple : VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple : VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileH264Baseline : VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
- GStreamer based players - VA-API is used automatically, if supported format found.
- See more at http://docs.gstreamer.com/display/GstSDK/Playback+tutorial+8%3A+Hardware-accelerated+video+decoding.