VCS package guidelines
Revision as of 01:00, 31 August 2010 by Pointone (rm broken ln)
|Summary help replacing me|
|Creating PKGBUILDs for software managed with version control systems.|
|Arch Build System|
|Arch User Repository|
Guidelines for creating PKGBUILDs for software managed with version control systems.
- Suffix Template:Codeline with Template:Codeline, Template:Codeline, Template:Codeline, Template:Codeline, Template:Codeline or Template:Codeline where applicable -- this prevents confusion with non-development versions of packages (e.g. fluxbox-svn or fvwm-cvs compared to fluxbox or fvwm).
- When makepkg is run, by default it will check for newer revisions and then update the Template:Codeline in the PKGBUILD. Look at Template:Codeline in man makepkg if you want otherwise. Template:Codeline only works for cvs and svn, which allow checkout of older revisions.
- Check for package conflicts. For example fluxbox-svn will conflict with fluxbox. In this case, you need to use Template:Codeline.
- Use the Template:Codeline field so that packages that require the non-VCS package can be installed (Template:Codeline).
- You should AVOID using Template:Codeline as it generally causes unnecessary problems.
- When using/defining the cvsroot, use Template:Codeline rather than Template:Codeline to avoid a password prompt and having to enter a blank password OR use Template:Codeline if a password is required.
- Though it is often unnecessary to use the Template:Codeline field when building CVS/SVN/GIT packages (changes to the package are usually often and will be reflected in the Template:Codeline), makepkg will require it.
- Don't forget to include the appropriate VCS tool (cvs, subversion, git, ...) in Template:Codeline.
- To preserve the integrity of the checked-out code consider copying the original build directory if you have to make edits. For example, having checked out source code to Template:Filename from Template:Filename you can use:
mkdir src/$_cvsmod-build cd src/$_cvsmod-build ../$_cvsmod/configure
cp -r src/$_cvsmod src/$_cvsmod-build cd src/$_cvsmod-build