Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix is an open source library and API to offload portions of the video decoding process and video post-processing to the GPU video-hardware.
- NVIDIA GeForce 8 series and newer cards are supported by the proprietary package, available in the official repositories.
- Intel GMA 4500 series and newer GPUs are supported by package (available in the AUR) together with the open source .
- AMD Radeon 9500 and newer GPUs are supported by the open source package, available in the official repositories.
- AMD Radeon HD 4000 series and newer GPUs are also supported by package (available in the AUR) together with the AUR package. It uses the proprietary AUR driver for Radeon HD 5000 series and newer, and AUR for Radeon HD 4000 series.
|AUR with||AUR with AUR|
|MPEG2 decoding||Nvidia GeForce 8 and newer||Intel GMA 4500 and newer||AMD Radeon 9500 and newer||AMD Radeon HD 4000 and newer|
|MPEG4 decoding||Nvidia GeForce 200 and newer||-||-||AMD Radeon HD 6000 and newer|
|H264 decoding||Nvidia GeForce 8 and newer||Intel GMA 45001, Ironlake Graphics and newer||-||AMD Radeon HD 4000 and newer|
|VC1 decoding||Nvidia GeForce 8 and newer||Intel Sandy Bridge Graphics and newer||-||AMD Radeon HD 4000 and newer|
1Supported by the libva-driver-intel-g45-h264 package. See H.264 decoding on GMA 4500 for instructions and caveats.
TheAUR driver (for Intel Graphics or AMD Catalyst) needs to be enabled manually. To enable it, create the following file:
#!/bin/sh export VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl
make it executable:
# chmod +x /etc/profile.d/vdpau_vaapi.sh
and reboot or relogin.
In order to check what features are supported by your GPU, run the following command, which provided by theAUR package:
In order to enable hardware based video decoding, add the following line to the
Install official repositories.or package, available in the
$ mplayer -vo vdpau, -vc ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffh264vdpau,ffodivxvdpau, foobar.mpeg
- -vo - Select vdpau video output driver
- -vc - Select vdpau video codecs
MPlayer based players:
Edit -> Preferences -> Player, then set Video Output to "vdpau".
: to enable hardware acceleration:
Options -> Preferences -> General -> Video, then set Output driver to "vdpau". : to enable hardware acceleration:
Install official repositories.package, available in the
To enable hardware acceleration:
Tools -> Preferences -> Input & Codecs, then check "Use GPU accelerated decoding".