Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix is an open source library and API to offload portions of the video decoding process and video post-processing to the GPU video-hardware.
Open source drivers:
- AMD Radeon 9500 and newer GPUs are supported by the package, available in the official repositories.
- Intel GMA 4500 series and newer GPUs are supported by the package together with the .
- NVIDIA GeForce 8 series and newer GPUs are supported by the package, available in the official repositories. It uses the AUR package, which contains the required firmware to operate that is presently extracted from the NVIDIA binary driver.
- AMD Radeon HD 4000 series and newer GPUs are supported by the package (available in the official repositories) together with the AUR package. It uses the AUR driver for Radeon HD 5000 series and newer, and AUR for Radeon HD 4000 series.
- NVIDIA GeForce 8 series and newer GPUs are supported by the package, available in the official repositories.
|MPEG2 decoding||AMD Radeon 9500 and newer||Intel GMA 4500 and newer||Nvidia GeForce 8 and newer||AMD Radeon HD 4000 and newer||Nvidia GeForce 8 and newer|
|MPEG4 decoding||AMD Radeon HD 6000 and newer||--||Nvidia GeForce 200 and newer||AMD Radeon HD 6000 and newer||Nvidia GeForce 200 and newer|
|H264 decoding||AMD Radeon HD 4000 and newer||Intel GMA 45001, Ironlake Graphics and newer||Nvidia GeForce 8 and newer||AMD Radeon HD 4000 and newer||Nvidia GeForce 8 and newer|
|VC1 decoding||AMD Radeon HD 4000 and newer||Intel Sandy Bridge Graphics and newer||Nvidia GeForce 8200, 8300, 8400, 9300, 200 and newer||AMD Radeon HD 4000 and newer||Nvidia GeForce 8 and newer|
1Supported by the H.264 decoding on GMA 4500 for instructions and caveats.AUR package, which is available in the AUR. See
Thedriver (for Intel Graphics or AMD Catalyst) needs to be enabled manually. To enable it, create the following file:
#!/bin/sh export VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl
make it executable:
# chmod +x /etc/profile.d/vdpau_vaapi.sh
and reboot or relogin.
In order to check what features are supported by your GPU, run the following command, which provided by theAUR package:
- Adobe Flash Player: see Browser plugins#Adobe Flash Player.
$ mplayer -vo vdpau, -vc ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffh264vdpau,ffodivxvdpau, foobar.mpeg
- Note: The
ffodivxvdpaucodec is only supported by the most recent series of NVIDIA hardware. Consider omitting it based on your specific hardware.
-vooption selects VDPAU video output driver,
-vcoption selects VDPAU video codecs.
- To enable hardware acceleration: Edit > Preferences > Player, then set Video Output to
vdpau. - To enable hardware acceleration: Options > Preferences > General > Video, then set Output driver to
- mpv: see Mpv#Hardware_Decoding.
- VLC media player: see VLC media player#Harware acceleration support.