Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix is an open source library and API to offload portions of the video decoding process and video post-processing to the GPU video-hardware.
Open source drivers:
- AMD Radeon 9500 and newer GPUs are supported by the package.
- Intel GMA 4500 series and newer GPUs are supported by the package together with the package.
- NVIDIA GeForce 8 series and newer GPUs are supported by the package. It requires the AUR package, which contains the required firmware to operate that is presently extracted from the NVIDIA binary driver.
- AMD Radeon HD 4000 series and newer GPUs are supported by the package together with the AUR package. It uses the AUR driver for Radeon HD 5000 series and newer, and AUR for Radeon HD 4000 series.
- NVIDIA GeForce 400 series and newer GPUs are supported by the package.
- GeForce 8/9 and GeForce 100-300 series are supported by the package.
|MPEG2 decoding||Radeon 9500 and newer||GeForce 8 and newer||GeForce 8 and newer|
|MPEG4 decoding||Radeon HD 6000 and newer||GeForce 200 and newer||GeForce 200 and newer|
|H.264 decoding||Radeon HD 4000 and newer||GMA 45001, Ironlake Graphics and newer||GeForce 8 and newer||Radeon HD 4000 and newer||GeForce 8 and newer|
|HEVC (H.265) decoding||GeForce 9004 and newer|
|VC1 decoding||Radeon HD 4000 and newer||GeForce 83 and newer||GeForce 83 and newer|
- 1 Supported by the Intel graphics#H.264 decoding on GMA 4500 for instructions and caveats. AUR package. See
- 2 As of version 0.3, the VA GL driver doesn't support any other hardware decoder than H.264.
- 3 Except GeForce 8800 Ultra, 8800 GTX, 8800 GTS (320/640 MB).
- 4 Except GeForce GTX 970 and GTX 980.
In order to check what features are supported by your GPU, run the following command, which is provided by thepackage:
The environment variable
VDPAU_DRIVER determines the driver file used. See Environment variables#Defining variables for configuration details.
The correct driver name depends on your setup:
- For Intel Graphics or AMD Catalyst you need to set it to
- For the open source AMD/ATI driver, you need to set it to the proper driver version depending on your GPU.
- For Nvidia's proprietary version set the variable to "nvidia".
The driver name can determined by running:
$ grep -i vdpau ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
(II) RADEON(0): [DRI2] VDPAU driver: r300
In this case you want to set
For hybrid setups (both NVIDIA and AMD), it may be necessary to set following environment variable:
$ export DRI_PRIME=1
For more information, see the PRIME wiki page.
- Adobe Flash Player — see Browser plugins#Adobe Flash Player.
- || AUR
- gnome-mplayer — To enable hardware acceleration: Edit > Preferences > Player, then set Video Output to
- SMplayer — To enable hardware acceleration: Options > Preferences > General > Video, then set Output driver to
- bomi — Hardware acceleration can be enabled: Preferences > Video > Hardware acceleration.
- https://bomi-player.github.io || AUR AUR