Installing Intel VTune 9.1 on Arch Linux
- download VTune
- download patch
- unpack VTune and patch its scripts
- install rpm from AUR/rpm4 or sergej-repo
- do rpm --initdb
- run VTune installer
(VTune does not work on my 2.6.31 kernel, so you may be need to install kernel26-lts)
- download driver patch
- copy the driver sources from /opt/intel/vtune/vdk/src to a new directory and patch them.
- do ./configure and make
- if your build fails with 'the frame size of 1140 bytes is larger than 1024 bytes', append -Wframe-larger-than=2048 to EXTRA_CFLAGS in Makefile
- cp vtune_drv*.ko /lib/modules/misc/vtune_drv.ko # copy the module to the kernel modules directory
- depmod -AeF /boot/System.map26 #rebuild module maps and resolve symbols
- modprobe vtune_drv #activate the module
- As of kernel 2.6.31 there was an api change, find_task_by_pid_ns() cannot be found. The only recourse is to downgrade your kernel to 2.6.30 or to wait for Intel to update the driver source code. If someone has a patch that resolves the issue you can post it here.