Difference between revisions of "WarCraft III"
m (→Configuring wine)
|Line 25:||Line 25:|
Both OSS and ALSA work. If you expierence difficulties with ALSA you may want to switch to OSS. Please note that aoss can make your sound glitch every three seconds so it is not recommend to use it.
Both OSSand ALSAwork. If you expierence difficulties with ALSA you may want to switch to OSS. Please note that aoss can make your sound glitch every three seconds so it is not recommend to use it.
Revision as of 11:39, 21 March 2009
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Installing Wine
- 3 Configuring Wine
- 4 Installation
- 5 Post installation tricks
- 6 Running Warcraft III
- 7 Troubleshooting
Warcraft III is a real-time strategy game created by Blizzard Entertainment. This article will describe how install and run it and its addon The Frozen Throne on Arch Linux using Wine. Warcraft III can be run with full OpenGL support, meaning you don't need the non-free Cedega.
Wine is available in the [extra] repository:
pacman -S wine
If you need any further help check out the Wine article. You will also want to run 'winecfg' and change a few settings to your liking before running the install CD.
This shows you how to configure Wine before installing Warcraft III and The Frozen Throne.
In order to make copy protection work under Wine you must switch your Windows version to 2000 or XP.
In order for the copy protection to work you must add a CD-ROM device: Add a device, set path to /media/cdrom (or whatever you use when you mount CDs) and change the device type to "CD-ROM".
The following process will detail how to install Warcraft III and the expansion The Frozen Throne and update to the current version.
Installing Warcraft III: The Reign of Chaos
This is rather simple. DO NOT use cracked versions of this game. They may need further adjustment before they run.
- Place the CD in your drive and mount it (or let it automount if that's how your machine is setup).
- Open a terminal and change in the directory of the CD.
- Follow the dialog boxes of the setup and enter your key when it asks for it.
- Do not forget to leave the directory or you may have problems getting your CD back from your computer.
Installing Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
Please follow the same procedure as above, using the CD of The Frozen Throne instead.
Upgrading to the current version
You can try updating via Battle.net or use an offline patch. For the first solution just hit the Battle.net button in the main menu after you have started the game. Be sure you have read the post installation tipps before running Warcraft III the first time. If you want to patch offline, follow these steps:
- Look here for the patch.
- Download the current patch and save it in the directory you installed Warcraft III.
- Open a terminal, change into that directory and run the patch via
If you have patched to version 1.22 or higher you do not need your CD anymore for starting the game.
Post installation tricks
There are some things you might want to fix before running Warcraft III the first time because they still can cause you trouble. If one of the following registry keys or values does not exist, simply create it.
Disabling intro movies
The movies are not displayed correctly and cannot be aborted. So we set them to be already seen.
- Open a terminal, run
- Go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\Misc
- Set "seenintromovie" to "1".
The option menu of Warcraft III does not support high widescreen resolutions. If you want to use one you have to put it in the registry by hand. Please note that you will loose this setting if you enter the options menu inside Warcraft III because it will overwrite your setting with the highest value it is capable of.
- Open a terminal, run
- Go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\Video
- Set "resheigth" and "reswidth" to whatever you prefer. Pay attention that you can enter either hexadecimal or decimal values.
Alt key combo
If you like to use [Alt] + left click for minimap signal and you are using KDE or Gnome you will find that this feature does not work due to keyboard shortcuts with [Alt] that your desktop environment uses.
The option to change the key binding is in System -> Preferences -> Windows.
Go into KDE Control Center, expand Desktop, click window behavior, then click window actions tab. You can turn off the alt combos. If you want to make window specific settings, click on window specific settings under window behavior on the side.
Running Warcraft III
You can now run Warcraft III. You can check if the installer has made you an starter in your applications menu. If so, you can use it. If you have any problems you may want to check the command to start Warcraft III. The path to your Warcraft III folder can be different depending on the location of your wine folder and the installation path of Warcraft III.
Warcraft III: The Reign of Chaos
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Warcraft\ III/war3.exe -opengl
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Warcraft\ III/Frozen\ Throne.exe -opengl
You may not need the -opengl parameter if your Direct3D rendering is fast enough. Please test this for yourself.
If you have problems connecting to Battle.net, hosting games or read ingame chat, please check first that you have forwarded port 6112 (default setting) to your computer. If so, you may want to try the AcceptEx patch for Wine.
- Create a new folder in your home directory.
- Create a new file named "patch" in it.
- Copy this in the file, save it.
- Get the newest PKGBUILD from the repositories. Save it in the same folder.
- Make sure you have all dependencies listed in the PKGBUILD, pay attention that you also need all make dependencies.
- Add the following line in the build section after the cd command:
patch -p1 < ../../patch
- Save the PKGBUILD and open a terminal.
- Change into the folder.
- Your computer will now compile Wine. This can take several minutes so please be patient.
- After that you have to install the package you have just builded (with root):
pacman -U wine-<version>-i686.pkg.tar.gz
Please note that you have to repeat these steps for each new wine version.