X-Video Motion Compensation (XvMC) is an extension for the X.Org Server. The XvMC API allows video programs to offload portions of the video decoding process to the GPU video-hardware. Particularly, features that have the tendency of heavily depending on the processor. Since XvMC acceleration takes the load off the CPU, thereby reducing processor requirements for video playback, it is an ideal solution for HDTV video playback scenarios.
Only MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 videos are supported by all driver.
- NVIDIA GeForce 6 and GeForce 7 series cards are supported by the proprietary package.
- NVIDIA GeForce 5 FX series cards are supported by the proprietary AUR package.
- NVIDIA GeForce4 series cards are supported by the proprietary AUR package.
- Intel 810, GMA 950, GMA 3100, GMA 3000, GMA 4500 series and Ironlake GPUs are supported by the open source package.
- AMD Radeon HD 5000 series and newer GPUs are supported by the proprietary AUR package.
- AMD Radeon HD 4000 series GPUs are supported by the proprietary AUR package.
- S3 Graphics UniChrome GPUs are supported by the open source package.
The open source drivers should work without any configuration. For the proprietary drivers create a new file
/etc/X11/XvMCConfig and add:
- For NVIDIA GPUs:
- For AMD GPUs:
$ mplayer -vo xvmc -fs foobar.mpeg
- -vo - Select xvmc video output driver
- -fs - Fullscreen playback (optional)
MPlayer based players:
- : open preferences and set the video output to "xvmc", and select "Enable Video Hardware Support".
- : open preferences and set the video driver to "xvmc", and deselect "Enable screenshots".
Install official repositories.package, available in the
$ xine -V xvmc -f -g --no-splash foobar.mpeg
$ xine -V xxmc -f -g --no-splash foobar.mpeg
- -V - Select the xvmc or xxmc video driver
- -f - Start in fullscreen mode (optional)
- -g - Hide GUI (optional)
- --no-splash - Don't display the splash screen (optional)