This document will guide you through the process of installing Arch Linux on T460S and Custom-Desktop, for C Programming Language development environment in 2022 as "Attempt 3".
First the method
Due to at least 3 attempts with no satisfaction, I'll redefine the method to give more chance the next time:
- First define the clear goal - lack of clear goal is the first reason of failure, as there is no direction to go
- Focusing on the goal - rather than the next step to take is pointless and consumes energy without giving any result,
- Too large steps - taking small steps gives the satisfaction of success and allows to carry on, unattainable goals are only a source of frustration, and though pointless.
Attempt 1: Asus X53S Laptop in 2018
ASUS X53S Intel Core i7-2760QM CPU 2.20 GeForce GT 540M 1GB
Legacy Boot, no encryption, quite a lot of fighting with bringing up the graphic driver to work. Goal: misty, setup everyday use operating system Status: too step learning curve, machine too weak, no goal defined no goal reached
Attempt 2: Lenovo Thinkpad T460S in 2018
Lenovo ThinkPad T460s i7-6600U/8GB/256SSD
UEFI Boot, Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#LVM_on_LUKS, brough up to configuring i3wm. Goal: misty again, encrypted sdd setup for everyday use, dual boot with windows Status: too step learning curve, afraid of lossing HDD encrypted while windows running side by side, no goal defined no goal reached
Attempt 3: ANTEC ISK300 Intel Atom in 2022
ANTEC ISK300 Intel Atom CPU D525 @ 1.80Ghz 2GB RAM
Goals: Remote server
- automation script for installation
- graphical server and interface + window manager KDE Plasma
- internet connection with ethernet and fallback wifi connection DHCP Client
- SSH access,
- remote file-server/accessible storage SFTP + RSYNC,
- and also C/C++/Python development environment with VIM.
Next step: Attempt 4: i7 based custom desktop in 2022
UEFI Boot, targeting probably Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#LUKS on a partition, and KDE.