Connecting your MP3 Player
This article discusses plugging portable audio players (also sometimes called "MP3 players").
There are different kinds of portable audio players around:
Players accessible with native protocols
- Apple iPod
- For Informations on the Apple iPod visit iPod
- All iRiver players with "Manager Mode" firmware should follow the instructions here: IRiver iFP Audio Players
- Creative players, probably all that do not support USB storage, should be supported by AUR.
- Sony Walkman MP3 players released prior to mid-2007 require Sony's proprietary "SonicStage" software to transfer files. Unfortunately, this software is only available for Windows. However, you are better off using the JSymphonic open source software anyway, as you will have more control over your player. JSymphonic is provided by AUR[broken link: archived in aur-mirror].
Players accessible as USB storage
- Creative MuVo
- All iRiver players with "UMS Mode" firmware are recognized as USB storage
- iAudio U2 MP3 player
- flash drive + MP3 player
- MPIO HD300
You should mount your player, identified as USB storage, to access its contents. See USB storage devices for details.