Minecraft is a game about breaking and placing blocks. At first, people built structures to protect against nocturnal monsters, but as the game grew players worked together to create wonderful, imaginative things.
- 1 Client
- 2 Server
- 3 Minecraft mod launchers
- 4 Other programs and editors
- 5 Troubleshooting
- 6 See also
Minecraft client can be installed as a
.desktop file. This package is officially recommended by Mojang on their website.
Alternatively, it can also be installed as aAUR package.
Firewall configuration for LAN worlds
To host a Minecraft world on the LAN you will need two ports to be open on your firewall:
- UDP port
4445. If this port is closed, the game will hang when you save and exit from the world;
- the TCP port minecraft randomly picks after you open your world to LAN. If this port is closed, other players won't be able to join your world.
Minecraft server can be installed as a systemd unit files and includes a small control script.AUR package. It provides additional
Also see #Alternative servers for alternative servers.
In the installation process the
minecraft user and group is introduced. Establishing a Minecraft-specific user is recommended for security reasons. By running Minecraft under an unprivileged user account, anyone who successfully exploits your Minecraft server will only get access to that user account, and not yours.
However you may safely add your user to the
minecraft group and add group write permission to the directory
/srv/minecraft (default) to modify Minecraft server settings. Make sure that all files in the
/srv/minecraft directory are either owned by the
minecraft user, or that the user has by other means read and write permissions. The server will error out if it is unable to access certain files and might even have insufficient rights to write an according error message to the log.
The package provides a systemd service and timer to take automatic backups. By default the backups are located in the
backup folder under the server root directory. Though to keep the disk footprint small only the 10 most recent backups are preserved (configurable via
KEEP_BACKUPS). The related systemd files are
minecraftd-backup.service. They may easily be adapted to your liking, e.g. to follow a custom backup interval.
Starting the server
To start the server you may either use systemd or run it directly from the command line. Either way the server is encapsulated in a GNU Screen session which is owned by the
minecraft user. Using systemd you may start and enable the included
minecraftd.service. Alternatively run
# minecraftd start
/srv/minecraft/eula.txtgets created. You will need to edit this file to state that you have agreed to the contract in order to run the server.
Server management script
To easily control the server you may use the provided
minecraftd script. It is capable of doing basic commands like
restart or attaching to the session with
console. Moreover it may be used to display status information with
status, backup the server world directory with
backup, restore world data from backups with
restore or run single commands in the server console with
minecraftd console), remember that you can exit any GNU screen session with
To tweak the default settings (e.g. the maximum RAM, number of threads etc.) edit the file
For example, more advanced users may wish enable
IDLE_SERVER by setting it to
true. This will enable the management script to suspend the server if no player was online for at least
IDLE_IF_TIME (defaults to 20 minutes). When the server is suspended an
idle_server will listen on the Minecraft port using (also called netcat or simply nc for short) and will immediately start the server at the first incoming connection. Though this obviously delays joining for the first time after suspension, it significantly decreases the CPU and memory usage leading to a more reasonably resource and power consumption.
Spigot (respectively Craftbukkit)
Spigot is the most widely-used modded Minecraft server in the world, hence there is a AUR package in the AUR. The spigot PKGBUILD builds on top of the files from the AUR package. This means that the spigot server as well provides its own systemd unit files, spigot script and the corresponding script configuration file. The binary is called
spigot and is capable of fulfilling the same commands as
minecraftd and the configuration file resides under
Be sure to read #Setup and replace
spigot wherever you encounter it.
It is somewhat affiliated with Bukkit and has grown in popularity since Bukkit's demise.
Cuberite is a highly efficient and extensively moddable Minecraft server, written in C++ and Lua. It achieves much better performances than the vanilla Minecraft server, but is not fully compatible with the latest Minecraft client (some game aspects might be missing or not working).
Cuberite minecraft server can be installed as a
8080 with which most server operations can easily be done through the browser. The cuberite PKGBUILD as well builds on top of the files from the AUR package. This means that the cuberite server provides its own systemd unit files, cuberite script and the corresponding script configuration file. The binary is called
cuberite and is capable of fulfilling the same commands as
minecraftd and the configuration file resides under
Be sure to read #Setup and replace
cuberite wherever you encounter it.
- There are several server wrappers available providing everything from automatic backup to managing dozens of servers in parallel, refer to Server Wrappers for more information. However the management script provided by the AUR packages should suffice most needs.
- You might want to set up a systemd timer with e.g. mapper to generate periodic maps of your world.
- Be sure to take periodic backups e.g. using the provided management script (see #Introduction) or plain rsync.
Minecraft mod launchers
You can launch Minecraft from different so called launchers that often include an array of mod packs to enhance one's gameplay and add mods.
- Feed The Beast — Originated as a custom challenge map in Minecraft that made heavy use of multiple tech mods and evolved into a mod package launcher.
- MultiMC — Sandbox environment manager for separable pack association.
- https://multimc.org/ || AUR and AUR
- Technic Launcher — Modpack installer with a focus on mod discovery via popularity rankings.
- http://www.technicpack.net/ || AUR
Other programs and editors
There are several programs and editors which can make your Minecraft experience a little easier to navigate. The most common of these programs are map generators. Using one of these programs will allow you to load up a Minecraft world file and render it as a 2D image, providing you with a top-down map of the world.
- AMIDST (Advanced Minecraft Interface and Data/Structure Tracking) ( AUR) is a program that aids in the process of finding structures, biomes, and players in Minecraft worlds. It can draw the biomes of a world out and show where points of interest are likely to be by either giving it a seed, telling it to make a random seed, or having it read the seed from an existing world (in which case it can also show where players in that world are). The project has been forked in the past, of which the most notable one is "Amidst Exporter" ( AUR) which includes a patch for calculating Ocean Monument locations in 1.8+ worlds.
- Mapcrafter ( AUR) is a high performance Minecraft map renderer written in C++ which renders worlds to maps with an 3D-isometric perspective. You can view these maps in any webbrowser hence they are easily deployed on one's server. Mapcrafter has a simple configuration file format to specify worlds to render, different rendermodes such as day/night/cave and can also render worlds from different rotations.
- Minutor ( AUR) is a minimalistic map generator for Minecraft. You are provided with a simple GTK+ based interface for viewing your world. Several rendering modes are available, as well as custom coloring modes and the ability to slice through z-levels.
Minecraft server on ARM devices
Minecraft server should run without any issues on ARM devices with latest Java, such as . However, if you encounter any issues, try using AUR instead. Also consider #Cuberite server as an alternative.
Minecraft client and Wayland support
Wayland and other window managers are currently not supported with Minecraft, as Minecraft has the prerequisite ofand should be opened with xorg.
Minecraft client or server does not start
It might be the problem with Java version. Java version 8 is guaranteed to work well in all cases.
Both Minecraft server and the actual game work perfectly fine with the latest version of Java, such as , but the Minecraft game launcher (and possibly all other mods) might only work with the Java version 8.