From the project page:
- TLP brings you the benefits of advanced power management for Linux without the need to understand every technical detail. TLP comes with a default configuration already optimized for battery life, so you may just install and forget it. Nevertheless TLP is highly customizable to fulfill your specific requirements.
To complete TLP's install, you must enable the systemd services
tlp-sleep.service. You should also mask the systemd service
systemd-rfkill.service and socket
systemd-rfkill.socket to avoid conflicts and assure proper operation of TLP's radio device switching options.
For advanced battery functions, i.e. charge thresholds and recalibration, install the following package(s):
- – tp-smapi is needed for battery charge thresholds, recalibration and specific status output of tlp-stat
- – acpi-call is needed for battery charge thresholds and recalibration on Sandy Bridge and newer models (X220/T420, X230/T430 et al.)
See the TLP FAQ, section "Which kernel module?", for details.
The configuration file is located at
/etc/default/tlp and provides a "largely" optimized power saving by default. For a full explanation of options see: TLP configuration.
To avoid filesystem corruption on btrfs formatted partitions, set:
Bumblebee with NVIDIA driver
If you're running Bumblebee with NVIDIA driver, you need to disable power management for the GPU in TLP in order to make Bumblebee control the power of the GPU.
lspci to determine the address of the GPU (such as 01:00.0), then set the value:
Radio Device Wizard
The Radio Device Wizard allows a more sophisticated management of radio devices depending on network connect/disconnect events. It requires NetworkManager, and enabling
See TLP configuration for details.
TLP provides several command line tools. See TLP commands.
You can display informations about the currently used Mode(AC/BAT) and applied configurations:
Features intentionally excluded
- Fan control. See Fan speed control
- Backlight brightness. See Backlight
- TLP - Linux Advanced Power Management - Project homepage & documentation.