Talk:GDM

From ArchWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

"Make the power button interactive" no longer possible with GDM 3.18

I have been attempting to change my power button's behaviour from suspend to interactive as per the instructions here without success. Looking into it, it seems with Gnome 3.18 the developers removed the "button-*" configuration options: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=753713 Rjackson (talk) 17:47, 1 November 2015 (UTC)

It would seem the options to change the power button, found in org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power as the power-button-action, currently allows 3 different values: nothing, suspend, and hibernate. Why anything else isn't available is beyond me. I've set it to nothing at the moment, just to avoid accidentally suspending when I mean to power down. While the bug report referenced by Rjackson describes the issue, the resolution makes this confusing, as it indicates a fix was pushed out previously. Perhaps the fix resulted in the current behaviour. CubeTheThird (talk) 06:46, 21 November 2015 (UTC)
Thanks for looking into this both of you. If the OP could that the suspend/hibernate/nothing options do still work then the section can be updated accordingly. -- Chazza (talk) 15:55, 21 November 2015 (UTC)

Incomplete removal of gdm

Re [1], thanks for flagging this up Ssri. I'm just wondering if it would be better to file a bug report. As far as I can see, the GDM user and group are created by the gdm install file so they should really be removed by the install file as well - it would just be a matter of adding the appropriate commands to post_remove. -- Chazza (talk) 10:02, 28 March 2016 (UTC)

+1, should be a bug. Example where it is done in post_remove:[2] like you suggest. I faintly remember there was a dev mailing list thread about uid/gid handling, but cannot find it right now (see also DeveloperWiki:UID_/_GID_Database). --Indigo (talk) 10:40, 28 March 2016 (UTC)
My mistake. Apparently, not removing the user and group is the correct behaviour - FS#48757. -- Chazza (talk) 16:08, 30 March 2016 (UTC)
Ah ok, thanks for following up. So polipo is a culprit squid. Anyhow, looking into it made me find an unowned /var/gdm path, wherever that came from (very probably my own tinkering in 2013). It would be nice to have a pacman tip for finding such files (I used lostfilesAUR). If they change packaging policy for the user/groups, perhaps a few hits from the past. edit: we have: Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#Identify_files_not_owned_by_any_package. Added [3]. --Indigo (talk) 17:22, 30 March 2016 (UTC)
Thanks guys for reporting it. I added this entry after being having to deal with this error message again (this time after compiling xscreensaver-arch-logo). It has been several months since I last dealt with it. This entry was more of a mental note than anything but I thought a few others would find it useful. Thanks Indigo for the handy link! Ssri (talk) 21:06, 3 April 2016 (UTC)