Except for special cases, all spell checkers have in common that they consist of two parts: the logic unit and the dictionary. Make sure to install both.
- Hunspell — Spell checker and morphological analyzer library and program, see also .
- Nuspell — Spell checker library and program designed as a modern alternative to hunspell, see also .
- https://nuspell.github.io/ || , supports hunspell dictionaries
- Ispell — Interactive spell-checking program for Unix, see also .
- Hspell — Hebrew spell-checker
- Voikko — Finnish spelling and grammar checker, hyphenator and collection of related linguistic data
Enchant is available as thepackage. It is also provided by the AUR package with minimal dependencies. For its usage and ordering file, see .
Enchant is used by many applications through the following GTK libraries:
- gspell — Flexible API to implement spell checking in GTK applications.
- GtkSpell — Provides word-processor-style highlighting and replacement of misspelled words in a GtkTextView widget.
Firefox, Thunderbird, Chromium and LibreOffice can all use system-wide installed Hunspell dictionaries as well as dictionaries/other spell checkers installed through their own extension systems. See the following sections:
- LanguageTool — Open source language checker, written in Java.
- Style and Diction — Diction identifies wordy and commonly misused phrases. Style analyses surface characteristics of a document.
- TeXtidote — Language checker for LaTeX documents, relies on LanguageTool.