Category talk:Network configuration
Add dhcpcd to this category?
In light of edits like , perhaps we could add dhcpcd to this category? "Network management" is a catch-all term, but if you interpret "Administration deals with keeping track of resources in the network and how they are assigned." to software, dhcpcd fits well enough. And if other network managers need dhcpcd, they (and not the user) should start it. -- Alad (talk) 17:14, 25 April 2015 (UTC)
- I'm sort of neutral here... The only decent idea I've been able to think of is perhaps rename the category like Wikipedia's page, Category:Network management, so we can feel more legitimate to move dhcpcd and possibly other articles there. — Kynikos (talk) 02:56, 26 April 2015 (UTC)
- On Wikipedia though, the "Network management" category contains pages that would be under Category:Networking on ArchWiki. The biggest problem is whether pages like wpa_supplicant should be included in Category:Network managers or Category:Wireless networking. The catch-all category on ArchWiki is Category:Networking, so perhaps Category:Network managers should be merged back if it is too ambiguous which pages should be included and which not.
- Anyway, in the note I think it is better to link to Network_configuration#Configure_the_IP_address (and Wireless_network_configuration#Automatic_setup) as examples of network managers, because even custom systemd service might cause conflicts.
- -- Lahwaacz (talk) 07:01, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
- Well, the note has sort of gone meanwhile :)
- As I said, my ideas aren't very clear at the moment about the boundaries of networking (sub)categories... Finding a good title that helped us move some more articles out of the overpopulated Category:Networking would be a good thing though IMO, which is also why I'd wait for better ideas than merging Category:Network managers back.
- — Kynikos (talk) 13:06, 28 April 2015 (UTC)
- +1 to both (renaming to "Network management" and moving dhcpcd into it). Perhaps Network_configuration should be a subcategory as well, just as "Wireless_Networking" is; articles like Jumbo_frames or Router could be moved into it. Same could be done for an "Internet Sharing" category (moving the articles on tethering (and Router?:) into it. I don't really mind the overpopulation/mix (little changes like if there was one entry for Samba instead of five would make it slimmer already). --Indigo (talk) 17:00, 30 April 2015 (UTC)
- I've started the two new subcategories: Category:Network configuration and Category:Network sharing. I'm not completely sure on the names, but we can always change that when someone has a better idea. Alad (talk) 11:09, 1 September 2015 (UTC)
- It may also be nice to add a table like in Category:Getting and installing Arch. -- Alad (talk) 11:44, 1 September 2015 (UTC)
- I don't like the Category:Network sharing much yet, it currently contains pages like Internet sharing and NFS, which are two different topics/layers. There is also Category:File Transfer Protocol.
- And Category:Network configuration is at least as general to contain Network configuration and consequently many (if not all) pages and even subcategories from Category:Networking, so I'm afraid the problem has only been moved somewhere else.
- -- Lahwaacz (talk) 20:26, 1 September 2015 (UTC)