From wikipedia:Vulkan (API):
- Vulkan is a low-overhead, cross-platform 3D graphics and compute API.
Learn more at Khronos.
To run a Vulkan application, you will need to install the package (and if you also want to run 32-bit applications), as well as the Vulkan drivers for your graphics card(s):
- Intel: (or for 32-bit applications)
- NVIDIA: (or )
- AMD: there are three implementations, which could be installed simultaneously:
- (or ) - RADV (part of Mesa project)
- (or ) - AMDVLK Open (maintained by AMD)
- AUR (or AUR) - AMDVLK Closed (maintained by AMD)
Other drivers may be installed manually instead:
- PowerVR: https://imgtec.com/vulkan
- Adreno: https://developer.qualcomm.com/software/adreno-gpu-sdk/gpu
For Vulkan application development, install , and optionally and (you can find the vulkaninfo tool in here).
To see which Vulkan implementations are currently installed on your system, use the following command:
$ ls /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/
Selecting vulkan driver
In some cases multiple vulkan driver are installed (for example RADV and AMDVLK). You can choose your preferred driver by setting the environment variable
Running steam with the radv driver is done by
$ VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.i686.json:/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json steam
To avoid crashes with 32bit games it is possible to assigning the 32bit variant and the 64Bit variant to the environment variable.
Vulkan Hardware Database
The Vulkan Hardware Database provides user reported GPU/driver combinations. Supplying own information is possible by using AUR.
Error - vulkan: No DRI3 support
Section "Device" Identifier "Intel Graphics" Driver "intel" Option "DRI" "3" EndSection
Nvidia - vulkan is not working and can not initialize
Check if you have any other vulkan driver installed, it may prevent Nvidia's vulkan driver from being detected.
Alternatively set the environment variable
No device for the display GPU found. Are the intel-mesa drivers installed?
Try to list both the intel_icd and primus_vk_wrapper configurations in VK_ICD_FILENAMES