Install one of the following:
- - Latest release
- AUR - Latest commit to master
Gajim is a Graphical User Interface (GUI), all configuration is done through the interface under preferences, you can access this via the top left gajim drop down, and selecting preferences or using the
Within the Preferences menu, you can find the following configuration categories:
- General - General behaviour of the client, such as how it should behave when closed.
- Chats - General behaviour of chat windows, such as allowing you to disable status change notifications, or join/leave messages.
- Notification - General behaviour of notifications within the client, allowing you to enable/disable audible notifications.
- Status - General configuration of notifications, such as automatic status changes invoked by events such as inactivity for a certain period of time.
- Style - Configuration of the client theme.
- Audio/Video - Configuration of Audio and Video call support, such as NAT traversal and input devices (microphone and camera).
- Advanced - Settings aimed towards more advanced users, allowing purging of message history, changing client proxy settings, and enabling/disabling debug logging
D-Bus remote control
To enable D-Bus remote control support, go to Advanced menu within Preferences and enable D-Bus Interface, then restart gajim.
If you would like to be able to show/hide the roster using a script or your window manager, you can use the following command:
$ gajim-remote toggle_roster_appearance
It may be necessary to restart Gajim if this does not work.
OMEMO Multi-End Message and Object Encryption is an XMPP Extension Protocol (XEP) for secure multi-client end-to-end encryption. It is an open standard based on Axolotl and PEP which can be freely used and implemented by anyone.
In order to use OMEMO in Gajim, follow these steps:
- Install the and packages.
- Open Gajim and go to menu Gajim > Plugins;
- Go to the Available tab;
- Mark the "OMEMO" plugin and click the Install/Update Plugin button;
- Go back to the Installed tab;
- Activate the "OMEMO" plugin;
- Close dialogs to save the changes;
- Restart Gajim;
- Please refer to the official documentation for running instructions
- Install the package.
- Enable notification sound under Notifications within the Preferences menu, then enable the Play Sounds setting.
Audio and video call support
To use Gajim's Audio / Video Call feature, install the optdepends with the "for video and audio calls" description.
Minimize or close to tray
By default Gajim remains in the taskbar (for Docks) instead of minimizing to tray when closing it, to disable this behavior enable the hide_on_roster_x_button preference.
Tips and tricks
Save history of messages
If the Save of Message History is enabled, a file
~/.local/share/gajim/logs.db is created. This is a SQLite database. (Open it with DB Browser for SQLite, install )
To look for a message, first get the
jid_id of the contact in table
jids. Click on Tab "Search Data". Choose Table
Now click the tab "Run SQL" and run the statement
SELECT time, kind, message FROM logs WHERE jid_id=(the jid_id from table jids) ORDER BY time ASC;
and click the run button. The result ist a list of your messages orderd by time (first message first, latest message at the bottom). The column
kind shows if the message was sent (Code: 6) or received (Code: 4).