It is fast, stable and light, supports unicode and provides an integrated search engine. It comes with UPnP port forwarding / NAT-PMP, encryption (Vuze compatible), FAST extension (main‐line) and PeX support (uTorrent compatible).
There are two packages in official repositories to install qBittorrent with:
- qBittorrent-nox — Without graphical interface (nox -> no X server).
A configuration file is created at
~/.config/qBittorrent/qBittorrent.conf upon running the program the first time.
If you install
qbittorrent-nox@.service. QBittorrent will run as a specific user if you enable/start
QBittorrent will run as the user
username. The default download folder will be the user's
Downloads directory, but this can be reconfigured later.
- If you are running it as a accessible service create a user called qbittorrent and make it run under it, and make the service restart on exit as the program have exit button.
- To modify the settings (i.e. port) you can add an environment variable (for port it is QBT_WEBUI_PORT) by using a drop-in file for its systemd unit. Run
qbittorrent-nox --helpto learn more about other environment variables (this information is not stated in the manual).
The optional search engine may be enabled through the menu View > Search Engine, which opens the Search tab.
Default trackers can be added/enabled in the Search tab by opening the tracker window with Search plugins... (bottom right) and pressing Check for updates. More unofficial search plugins can be found here.
By default, qBittorrent will listen on all interfaces on port 8080. Thus it is accessible at
https://HOST_IP:8080is not accessible.
Default username & password
The default username is
admin and the default password is
Allow access without username & password
In a home environment, it is often desirable to allow access to the Web UI without having to input a username and password. This can be configured in the Web UI itself after logging in using the default username and password.
Alternatively, to avoid logging in for the first time, add this section to
[Preferences] WebUI\AuthSubnetWhitelist=192.168.1.0/24 WebUI\AuthSubnetWhitelistEnabled=true WebUI\UseUPnP=false
The above configuration items will:
- Allow clients logging in from 192.168.1.x to access the Web UI without having to enter a username and password.
- Disable UPnP for the Web UI, so that the Web UI will not be accessible from outside the network.
After that, reload
Reverse proxy configuration
Refer to qbittorrent wiki