According to the Tectonic Website,
- Tectonic is a modernized, complete, self-contained TeX/LaTeX engine, powered by XeTeX and TeXLive.
Some of the most important features of the Tectonic engine are that Tectonic
- automatically downloads the necessary latex packages;
- does not write intermediate files;
- has full suport for Unicode and OpenType fonts;
- is self-contained, so it is not necessary to install TeX Live or other packages.
The tectonic engine can easily be installed with the tectonic package.
Basic tectonic usage is made with
$ tectonic main.tex
which will compile it into a fully-processed pdf, with only one run of the command.
While compiling, tectonic will automatically download the necessary LaTeX packages, with no need for configuration.
The newer interface, accessible with the
-X flag, has more features compared to the default command-line interface. More information about it can be read in the official Tectonic Book.