An emulator is a program which serves to replicate the functions of another platform or system so as to allow applications and games to be run in environments they were not programmed for.
Note: For possibly more up to date selection of emulators, try checking the AUR 'emulator' keyword.
Warning: Owning a high-level emulator is legal, but distribution of any type of copyrighted ROMs is illegal. Consequently, Arch Linux does not distribute this copyrighted content, including game ROMs and ripped console BIOSs. You are fully responsible for whatever usage of the emulators obtained from the official repositories or the Arch User Repository you make, as well as any legal repercussion that result. Arch Linux bears no responsibility at all.
- ares — Multi-system emulator by Near with experimental Nintendo 64 and PlayStation support.
- https://ares-emu.net/ || AUR
- higan — Multisystem emulator focusing on accuracy, supporting SNES, NES, GB, GBC, GBA.
- MAME — Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator.
- mednafen — Command-line driven multisystem emulator.
- https://mednafen.github.io/ || , graphical front-end AUR.
- RetroArch — Frontend to libretro (emulation library, using modified versions of existing emulators as plugins).
- bsnes — Super Nintendo emulator focusing on performance, features, and ease of use.
- Cemu — Wii U emulator (via wine).
- https://cemu.info/ || AUR
- Citra — Nintendo 3DS emulator.
- https://citra-emu.org/ || AUR
- DeSmuME — Nintendo DS emulator.
- Dolphin — Very capable GameCube and Wii emulator.
- FCEUX — NTSC and PAL 8 bit Nintendo/Famicom emulator that is an evolution of the original FCE Ultra emulator. It is accurate, compatible and actively maintained.
- melonDS — Nintendo DS emulator.
- http://melonds.kuribo64.net/ || AUR
- mGBA — A Nintendo Gameboy Advance Emulator focusing on both speed and accuracy.
- https://mgba.io/ || SDL frontend: , QT5 frontend:
- Mupen64Plus — Highly compatible Nintendo 64 emulator with plugin system.
- https://www.mupen64plus.org/ || or a graphical front-end, such as AUR or AUR.
- Nestopia — Very accurate NES emulator.
- http://0ldsk00l.ca/nestopia/ || AUR
- Ryujinx — A simple, experimental Nintendo Switch emulator.
- https://ryujinx.org/ || AUR
- Snes9x — Portable, freeware Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) emulator.
- Visual Boy Advance — Game Boy emulator with Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Color, and Super Game Boy support.
- Yuzu — An experimental open-source Nintendo Switch emulator/debugger.
- ZSNES — Highly compatible Super Nintendo emulator.
- DuckStation — DuckStation is an simulator/emulator of the Sony PlayStation(TM) console, focusing on playability, speed, and long-term maintainability.
- ePSXe — Emulator for the PlayStation video game console for x86-based PC hardware.
- https://www.epsxe.com/ || AUR
- pSX — A not plugin-based PlayStation emulator with fairly high compatibility.
- PCSXR — PlayStation emulator; Debian fork of the abandoned original PCSX
- PCSX2 — PlayStation 2 emulator. It is still being maintained and developed. It requires BIOS files.
- PPSSPP — PlayStation Portable emulator.
- RPCS3 — Experimental open-source Sony PlayStation 3 emulator and debugger.
- https://rpcs3.net/ || AUR
- gngeo — Command-line NeoGeo emulator.
- Kega Fusion — An emulator of classic Sega consoles like Genesis/Mega Drive, Master System, Sega CD. Game Gear, 32X.
- Kronos — Hardware-accelerated Sega Saturn emulator forked from uoYabause.
- https://fcare.github.io || AUR
- Stella — Atari 2600 VCS emulator.
- xemu — An original Xbox emulator (fork of XQEMU).
- https://xemu.app/ || AUR
- XQEMU — An original Xbox emulator.
- https://xqemu.com/ || AUR
- Yabause — A Sega Saturn emulator.
- https://yabause.org/ || ,
- box64 — Linux Userspace x86_64 Emulator with a twist
- DOSBox — Open-source DOS emulator which primarily focuses on running DOS Games.
- DOSEmu — Open-source DOS emulator.
- Fuse-emulator — ZX Spectrum emulator.
- ScummVM — Virtual machine for old school adventures.
- Vice — Versatile Commodore 8-bit Emulator.
- X Neko Project II — PC-9801 emulator.
- https://www.nonakap.org/np2/ || AUR