From Wikipedia: Telegram is a cloud-based instant messaging service. Telegram clients exist for both mobile (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Ubuntu Touch) and desktop systems (Windows, OS X, Linux). Users can send messages and exchange photos, videos, stickers and files of any type. Telegram also provides optional end-to-end-encrypted messaging.
You can use one of following methods in order to use Telegram in Arch:
Plugin for other chat software
- By using Pidgin is provided. AUR or AUR packages, connection to Telegram through messenger softwares based on such as
- Messaging apps that are using Telepathy such as (the default messenger for GNOME) can make use of package, which provides possibility of using and thus AUR to connect Telegram.
- In the KDE desktop environment using provides capability of connecting the default messenger to Telegram.
The official app:
- Telegram. AUR pre-compiled binary from
- Qt libraries to be compiled. AUR that needs
- AUR Experimental build of Telegram Desktop using system Qt instead of Telegram custom Qt libraries.
- Noto Color Emoji. AUR Experimental build of Telegram Desktop using system Qt and emojis replaced with those from
- EmojiOne. AUR Experimental build of Telegram Desktop using system Qt and emojis replaced with those from
Alternative unofficial clients:
- aseman. The package is based on Qt and has different capabilities from pure Telegram. Install AUR for latest development version. , open-source client by Iranian developer
CLI/command line application
- Github. AUR provides command-line interface to connect and use Telegram. For more information about the program, visit the program page on
- Ncurses and needs AUR to run. For more information about the program, visit the program page on Github. AUR is a command-line interface for Telegram based on
- The official Telegram Web.
- Telegram, WhatsApp, Facebook, and more. AUR is an open-source web-based application that can be used for web-based interface of various instant messaging software such as
- AUR is an open source alternative to Franz. It offers all features of its closed source counterpart.
- Use Telegram Desktop addons for Firefox, to connect to Telegram in your browser via web interface.
- Use Telegram Chrome app for Chromium, to connect to Telegram in your browser via web interface.
Tips and tricks
- qtbase-src file to compile. This requires approximately 40 MB to download for building package. AUR package need to download
- Use unofficial repository archlinuxcn to install packages AUR and AUR in which case there is no need to download qtbase-src file, mentioned in the previous point for making AUR. Some other related packages for Telegram can also be found in this repository.