Telegram is a cloud-based cross-platform instant messaging service with optional end-to-end encryption. Account creation requires a phone number.
The official clients are open-source but the code for recent versions is not always immediately published. The server-side code is proprietary.
You can use one of following methods in order to use Telegram:
Chat client plugins
- By using the Pidgin is provided. AUR package, connection to Telegram through (graphical or command-line) messenger software based on such as
- Messaging apps that are using Telepathy can make use of package, which provides possibility of using and thus AUR to connect Telegram.
- In the KDE desktop environment using provides capability of connecting the default messenger to Telegram.
The official application built by Arch Linux: .
- AUR, AUR, AUR
- Github. AUR provides command-line interface to connect and use Telegram. For more information about the program, visit the program page on
- Ncurses and needs AUR to run. For more information about the program, visit the program page on Github. AUR is a command-line interface for Telegram based on
- Github. AUR Telegram terminal client. For more information about the program, visit the program page on
- AUR, not a full client but a command-line tool to directly send messages or files via Telegram.
- telega.el - GNU Emacs Telegram client.
- TelegramTUI - terminal Telegam client with a pseudo-graphic GUI
- Github. AUR Terminal-based Telegram client for Linux and macOS with support for external editor compose, visit the program page on
- The official Telegram WebK.
- The official Telegram WebZ.
- open-source web-based application that can be used for web-based interface of various instant messaging software such as Telegram, WhatsApp, Facebook, and more. AUR is an
- AUR is an alternative to Franz, also open source. It offers all features of its counterpart.
- Use Telegram Chrome app for Chromium, to connect to Telegram in your browser via web interface.
Tips and tricks
GTK dialogs in Telegram Desktop
KDE dialogs in Telegram Desktop
SVG icon theme in Telegram Desktop
If you want to use an icon theme based on svg image (e.g. Qt#Icon theme is not applied for details.) install . See
XCURSOR_SIZE environment variables manually (e.g.,
See Wayland#Qt for further instructions.
xdg-open in Telegram Desktop
If you want to use xdg-open on t.me links and receive an error not finding a handler for tg:
xdg-mime default telegramdesktop.desktop application/x-xdg-protocol-tg xdg-mime default telegramdesktop.desktop x-scheme-handler/tg
Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted
If you get the following error
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
If you have Qt scaling enabled on your system, and the scaling factor is not an integer, you may encounter problems like pixelated images and icons. you may need to disable high-DPI scaling for Telegram separately.
... Exec=env -u QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS telegram-desktop -- %u ...
You may need to update the database of desktop entries.
In case sound is not working due to an invalid audio backend being used, it can be overwritten by setting the environment variable
ALSOFT_DRIVERS or the
drivers property in the
[general] section of the OpenAL config. The drivers value
"pulse," for example would try pulseaudio first and then fallback to the default driver list.
Choose correct web camera
Telegram version 3.7.1 does not allow to select the web camera to use in video conference. If you want to force telegram to use a different camera, as a workaround you can disable the unwanted camera device as described in .
Fcitx support for Qt 6 Telegram
Telegram-desktop is built against Qt 6 since 3.4.2-2. Users upgrading from an older version might notice Fcitx stop working for this application. To make it work again, install or the group. If using Fcitx5, install .
Changing the default file browser
On environments where the
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP environment variable is unset (like when not running desktop environments, i.e only window managers) telegram-desktop falls back to a very basic file browser. Using the above mentioned variable, the user can change the default one to the one they like that belongs to a certain desktop environment. Valid values for this variable can found here. For example to use Thunar from the XFCE project:
- Arch Linux - Unofficial group for discussing everything about Arch Linux.
- ArchWikiBot - Inline bot for searching through ArchWiki pages.
- Planet Arch Linux & News - Channel with recent Planet Arch updates and Latest News in one place.
- Arch Linux: Recent package updates - Channel with recent package updates in Arch Linux repositories.
- Arch Linux News - Channel with news from Arch web site (not updated since 2018).
- Planet Arch - Channel with posts from Planet Arch web site (not updated since 2018).