Telegram is a cloud-based cross-platform instant messaging service with optional end-to-end encryption. Account creation requires a phone number.
The official clients are open-source but the code for recent versions is not always immediately published. The server-side code is proprietary.
You can use one of following methods in order to use Telegram:
Chat client plugins
- By using Pidgin is provided. AUR or AUR packages, connection to Telegram through (graphical or command-line) messenger softwares based on such as
- Messaging apps that are using Telepathy such as AUR (the default messenger for GNOME) can make use of package, which provides possibility of using and thus AUR to connect Telegram.
- In the KDE desktop environment using provides capability of connecting the default messenger to Telegram.
The official application:
- — built by Arch Linux
- AUR — built by upstream
- AUR, AUR, AUR
- Github. AUR provides command-line interface to connect and use Telegram. For more information about the program, visit the program page on
- Ncurses and needs AUR to run. For more information about the program, visit the program page on Github. AUR is a command-line interface for Telegram based on
- Github. AUR Telegram terminal client. For more information about the program, visit the program page on
- AUR, not a full client but a command-line tool to directly send messages or files via Telegram.
- telega.el - GNU Emacs Telegram client.
- TelegramTUI - terminal Telegam client with a pseudo-graphic GUI
- The official Telegram Web.
- open-source web-based application that can be used for web-based interface of various instant messaging software such as Telegram, WhatsApp, Facebook, and more. AUR is an
- AUR is an alternative to Franz, also open source. It offers all features of its counterpart.
- Use Telegram Chrome app for Chromium, to connect to Telegram in your browser via web interface.
Tips and tricks
GTK dialogs in Telegram Desktop
SVG icon theme in Telegram Desktop
If you want to use an icon theme based on svg image (e.g. Qt#Icon theme is not applied for details.) install . See
See Wayland#Qt for instructions.
Telegram resources about Arch Linux
- Arch Linux - Unofficial group for discussing everything about Arch Linux.
- ArchWikiBot - Inline bot for searching through ArchWiki pages.
- Planet Arch Linux & News - Channel with recent Planet Arch updates and Latest News in one place.
- Arch Linux: Recent package updates - Channel with recent package updates in Arch Linux repositories.
- Arch Linux News - Channel with news from Arch web site (not updated since 2018).
- Planet Arch - Channel with posts from Planet Arch web site (not updated since 2018).