Telegram is a cloud-based cross-platform instant messaging service with optional end-to-end encryption. Account creation requires a phone number.
You can use one of following methods in order to use Telegram:
- Telegram Desktop — The official application built by Arch Linux.
- Kotatogram — Unofficial experimental Telegram Desktop fork.
- 64Gram — Unofficial feature-rich Telegram Desktop fork.
- https://64gr.am || AUR
- Franz — An open-source web-based application that can be used for various instant messaging software.
- https://meetfranz.com/ || AUR
- Rambox — An alternative to Franz, no longer open source, that offers all features of its counterpart.
- https://rambox.app/ || AUR
Chat client plugins
Some multi-purpose chat clients provide a plugin for Telegram:
- Pidgin — Telegram plugin implemented using official tdlib client library. Needs TD_API_ID and TD_API_HASH env vars to be set for makepkg.
- Telepathy — The libpurple telepathy backend, in conjunction with AUR allows access to Telegram.
- Telegram messenger CLI — A command-line interface for Telegram which uses the readline interface.
- ncTelegram — A ncurses Telegram client developed in Python with the urwid library.
- tg — Telegram terminal client.
- nchat — A terminal-based chat client with support for Telegram.
- telega.el — GNU Emacs Telegram client.
- telegram-send — A command-line tool to directly send messages or files via Telegram.
Tips and tricks
File chooser style
By default, Telegram uses Qt file chooser. You can change it by setting
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME environment variable.
SVG icon theme in Telegram Desktop
If you want to use an icon theme based on svg image (e.g. Qt#Icon theme is not applied for details.) install . See
See Wayland#Qt for generic instructions.
xdg-open scheme handler
If you want to use xdg-open for
t.me links and receive an error not finding a handler for
$ xdg-mime default org.telegram.desktop.desktop application/x-xdg-protocol-tg $ xdg-mime default org.telegram.desktop.desktop x-scheme-handler/tg
If you get the following error:
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
If you have Qt scaling enabled on your system, and the scaling factor is not an integer, you may encounter problems like pixelated images and icons. you may need to disable high-DPI scaling for Telegram separately.
QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS environment variable as follows:
... Exec=env -u QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS telegram-desktop -- %u ... DBusActivatable=false ...
You may need to perform Desktop entries#Update database of desktop entries afterwards.
Also consider disabling Default interface scale in Settings and enabling Enable precise High DPI scaling in Settings -> Advanced -> Experimental settings to avoid incorrect scaling when launch by
xdg-open (e.g. opening
In case sound is not working due to an invalid audio backend being used, it can be overwritten by setting the environment variable
ALSOFT_DRIVERS or the
drivers property in the
[general] section of the OpenAL config. The drivers value
"pulse," for example would try pulseaudio first and then fallback to the default driver list.
Choose correct web camera
Telegram version 3.7.1 does not allow to select the web camera to use in video conference. If you want to force telegram to use a different camera, as a workaround you can disable the unwanted camera device as described in .
Fcitx support for Qt 6 Telegram
Telegram-desktop is built against Qt 6 since 3.4.2-2. Users upgrading from an older version might notice Fcitx stop working for this application. To make it work again, install or the group. If using Fcitx5, install .
Changing the default file browser
Telegram Desktop uses the File Manager DBus Interface to open the file browser. The spec does not allow to choose the preferred one, ensure you have only one file browser installed.
Do not confuse file browsers with file dialogs which are parts of toolkits and is covered by #File chooser style.
- Arch Linux - Unofficial group for discussing everything about Arch Linux.
- ArchWikiBot - Inline bot for searching through ArchWiki pages.
- Planet Arch Linux & News - Channel with recent Planet Arch updates and Latest News in one place.
- Arch Linux: Recent package updates - Channel with recent package updates in Arch Linux repositories.