A list of reproducible build meetings and work in progress documentation.
Arch Linux is currently in the process of having it 100% reproducible, for the exact definition of reproducible builds and it's benefits take a look at the project website.
Arch users can help contribute to Reproducible Build issues by looking at the continuous reproducing environment. There are various issues which can be sorted out:
- FTBS (failed to build from source): reproduce the build failure locally and create a bug report if the package cannot be built from a clean chroot (extra-x86_64-build or multilib-build).
- Failed to download sources, reproduce the issue (makepkg -o -d) and create a bug report on the Arch bugtracker.
- Failed to reproduce. Locally you can reproduce packages using . Note that not all variations can be used. For simple time related testing:
reprotest --variations '+time' 'sudo extra-x86_64-build' '*.pkg.tar.xz'
There might be various reasons for a package to not be reproducible, but before digging in take a look at the upstream repository or the reproducible status in Debian
- Failed to run tests, these failures are heavily on the testing env. Most likely due to to LANG=C being set and Arch not supporting LANG=C.UTF-8
If you are interested in the code which runs the continuous reproducing environment, the first build code starts here on salsa
- Arch Linux Archive cleanup script
- Arch Linux Reproducible script
- A script to locally reproduce an installed package
- Resolve reproducible build issues
- Documentation about reproducing a build
Reproducible Build Arch Update 09-12-2018
Posted to the rb-general mailing list.
Agenda meeting 10-01-2018
- UTF-8 failures with Python.
- There are a lot of reproducible build issues due to the lack of LANG=$lang-UTF-8. Do we need to explicitly set the LANG in the PKGBUILD
- See for example https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/archlinux/community/python-cssselect2/build1.log
- Package disorderfs
- Not high important right now, I have added it on my todolist. This could be used later in combination with the reproducible build script
- Pacman release
- How do we convince the Pacman team to create a new release, are there any known blockers they waiting on?
- Reproducible build script progress
- Discuss what the script exactly should do, create an RFC? To describe it's functionality.
- FIXME: add issues I encountered.
- Arch Linux Archive: Do not remove packages mentioned in BUILDINFO file
- There is currently no script to remove old packages from the archive, it is not sure how long we want to keep old packges
- Sangy was working on this if I recall correctly, what is the status? poc script
- Write documentation what this script should do. (Specification)
- Killed builds
- Someone should investigate this, how do we reproduce this locally? Hints?
- SSL verification issues
- How do we circumvent SSL issues from reproducing a package locally which was build earlier, when the SSL certificate was valid. HG and SVN are still left to be fixed.
- Create a public to-do list
- We should get more people in to work on reproducible builds, how can we guide them and where do we keep track of the progress made and issues which require attention.