getscancodes is very useful tool for grabbing scancodes. Quick howto for newbie
- install getscancodes from aur #yaourt -Sya getscancodes
- connect your device and recognize it #dmesg|tail -30
- find the event id of the device (use grep) #cat /proc/bus/input/devices
- run getscancodes #sudo getscancodes /dev/input/event18
I find that it easy just to use setkeycodes for a quick test # setkeycodes scancode keycode
- There's already a link to official instructions in Extra_Keyboard_Keys#See_also, so I'd say it's not necessary to add these to our wiki.
- setkeycodes and mapping with udev are described in Map_scancodes_to_keycodes, which is just fine - I don't know what you mean...
- Map_scancodes_to_keycodes and Extra_Keyboard_Keys are properly interlinked, and I'm against the merging at the moment because that would imply other pages should be merged too and the resulting page would be too long and hard to read.
- -- Lahwaacz (talk) 13:00, 21 October 2013 (UTC)