Using without MySQL
Good article, but it doesn't even speak about one important fact: it's possible to have postfix without mysql.
Mysql is quite heavy for what is required by postfix, and I want to manage users separately in an LDAP database. I'll see if it's possible to do it and perhaps update the wiki.
- Yes, it is definitely possible and quite achievable to use LDAP with postfix. If I find time I would like to contribute some wiki info about this very subject. I have some of this info on my own website, too. Cirkit (talk) 01:17, 17 September 2017 (UTC)
Postfixadmin Cfg & Dovecot Select Statement
i used this tutorial to install dovecot, postfix and postfixadmin. It worked but the value down here is not working in the whole context of this tutorial.
If -> $CONF['domain_in_mailbox'] = 'YES'; <- is set to YES then we get in the sql table mailbox the value for maildir : -> email@example.com/<-.
But the SQL Query from the Virtual user mail tutorial uses this query: user_query = SELECT '/home/vmail/%d/%n' as home, 'maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n' as mail, 5000 AS uid, 5000 AS gid, concat('dirsize:storage=', quota) AS quota FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u' AND active = '1'
'maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n' - means append the user name without the domain.
this causes that we will have two directories created by postfix - in /home/vmail/domain.org/bob and /firstname.lastname@example.org
I tried some things and changed the SQL String from %d/%n to %d/%u but at the end i decided it's the easiest part not to save the domainname in the mailbox name.
So the solution should be to use $CONF['domain_in_mailbox'] = 'NO';
(hope this is helful)
spamassassin and dovecot
- Do you have more details on what you want explained exactly? Dovecot can call SA in different ways and this wiki covers the most useful ones. My own favorite is via LMTP + sieve as it's the fastest and most scalable. See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Mail_Transfer_Protocol.
- --Zang (talk) 23:38, 10 June 2016 (UTC)
- i miss some introduction about the concept behind spamassassin. that might be one sentence like "Spamassassin is a rule based mail rating system working as dedicated service.". that would make it easier to know what to expect from that section (whether it solves my problem or not). as it is now, one depends on guessing based on the name only, and it is kind of implicated everyone knows what spamassassin does (and how, conceptually).
- i am not sure, i explained it well… i'll try again if you wish…? Fordprefect (talk) 11:09, 11 June 2016 (UTC)
Spamassassin - sa.service
In the text, it says:
Now you can start and enable sa.service.
I'm not confident enough to edit the entry - but i guess it should say "sa.timer" right?
- No, I think it was right. The names were very confusing however.
- Please have a look at the section and see if it is clearer now I've made some changes. Lonaowna (talk) 12:53, 23 September 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks for the quick reply and reworking the naming. :) I took another look. As
# systemctl enable spamassassin-update.service
The unit files have no installation config (WantedBy, RequiredBy, Also, Alias settings in the [Install] section, and DefaultInstance for template units). This means they are not meant to be enabled using systemctl. Possible reasons for having this kind of units are: 1) A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit's .wants/ or .requires/ directory. 2) A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has a requirement dependency on it. 3) A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer, D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...). 4) In case of template units, the unit is meant to be enabled with some
instance name specified.</poem>
- and timer activation works,
# systemctl enable spamassassin-update.timer Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/timers.target.wants/spamassassin-update.timer → /etc/systemd/system/spamassassin-update.timer.
IPV6 Configutation Information.
include appending ipv6 to inet_protocols in main.cf as mentioned here, , to address not being able to connect on Android client with most providers.