User talk:Fsckd/Classroom future
This could be fleshed out a little. Something along the lines of
- Provide a venue for members of the Arch Linux community to share their knowledge of technical subjects related to the development and usage of Arch Linux.
- Provide the necessary infrastructure to coordinate the planning, delivery and archiving of all courses and coursework.
- Thank you! I like the wording. With some work these could be part of the official description of Classroom. For the first one, classes do not have to be technical nor are they restricted to Arch Linux topics. For example, there can be a class on Raspberry Pi or a class on wiki editing (this second one has been requested). I rewrite a little using language often tossed around on IRC:
- Provide a venue for members of the Arch Linux community to share their knowledge of subjects of interest to Arch Linux users.
- For the second one, I don't think the word "coursework" applies to classroom as for most classes (so far), there's been little work other than join, read/listen, ask questions, and learn. We've been using "class materials" but I'm not sure if that's the best name.
- -- fsckd (talk) 04:20, 23 January 2017 (UTC)
If we were being pedantic, this could be clarified. It is probably more correct to envisage Classroom and the Wiki fulfilling similar roles, in that both are seeking to provide additional supporting material for the community, but in very different formats. The Wiki is primarily focused on augmenting or clarifying upstream documentation, whereas Classroom is a series of in-depth tutorials into specific subjects. While the two initiatives are complementary, there is no compelling reason, given their divergent delivery methods, to combine the two. Jasonwryan (talk) 06:09, 21 January 2017 (UTC)
- I'll say once again that I totally support and praise the Classroom project, however another reason why we can't host tutorials here is that DRY is a traditional fundament of this wiki, i.e. the ideal is that each piece of information is found in one and only one place in the whole wiki; of course this is impossible in practice, but directly hosting tutorials would go in the opposite direction. Perhaps the ArchWiki section here should link to Help:Reading#Organization. — Kynikos (talk) 03:17, 22 January 2017 (UTC)