Instructions on checking the user name
The issue with Special:ListUsers is that it displays results even when the name in question is not available. For example, foobarthisnamedoesnotexist still lists all user names starting with foo. -- Alad (talk) 21:36, 26 May 2016 (UTC)
- You can go to User:Foobarthisnamedoesnotexist instead, but no idea how to describe the 4 possible cases (account does not exist, account exists but the page doesn't, the page exists but account doesn't, both things exist). -- Lahwaacz (talk) 21:49, 26 May 2016 (UTC)
- Well, it's a little like letting new users play dice to find a free name first, but still useful to work around the issue, e.g.
- Actually, what should be the primary place to inform about how to register? The main page? Then, we should crosslink it from ArchWiki:Contributing#Improving and maybe even add a redirect for "account registration". --Indigo (talk) 12:14, 27 May 2016 (UTC)
- Ooh, ok, the 30-second delay is a deliberate limitation built into Wiki Monkey for non-bot users to discourage using it for extensive undiscussed changes.
- If you don't want or can't have continuous access to internet to leave the bot perform the edits while you do something else (which is how Wiki Monkey's bot was intended to be used by regular users), I guess I can put your User in the Bots group temporarily, if you give me a time window when you intend to run the bot.
- I think Lahwaacz also periodically runs wiki-script's interlanguage.py script, but I'm not sure if it can be restricted to only a particular title.
- We can also discuss supporting a User:Blackteahamburger.bot with bot rights, if you're interested in running automated maintenance jobs more regularly.
- -- Kynikos (talk) 23:43, 15 July 2020 (UTC)
- Lahwaacz said that the bot cannot parse the magic word at the top of the page , so the bot cannot work. I can use SimpleReplace plugin to update interlanguage links.
- I am really interested in running automatic maintenance tasks, but I don’t know how to do it :(
- I don't really like using SimpleReplace extensively, because it is too error-prone (parsing the MediaWiki markup properly with regular expressions is extremely hard or even impossible). But I think the SynchronizeInterlanguageLinks plugin would actually work here, I'm only not sure if it would give the same results as wiki-scripts for any page. interlanguage.py from wiki-scripts does not work here because of mwparserfromhell's issue so the ultimate solution would be fixing that. -- Lahwaacz (talk) 20:02, 18 July 2020 (UTC)
- We have a discussion about this ongoing at MediaWiki talk:Common.css#Main page columns and Vector 2022 language links. --Erus Iluvatar (talk) 17:59, 10 August 2022 (UTC)